iOS 15 is the next version of Apple’s mobile operating system for iPhone and iPad and will be launched on June 7 at WWDC 2021. Officially, the new iOS 15 release won’t be available to the public until autumn, and most of us have to be patient until then. In this article, learn how to download and install the new iOS 15 Beta Profile on your iPhone or iPad today to test new features before general release.
The developer beta for iOS 15 was already available for download at WWDC 2021 and you need a developer account to get it. The public beta program for iOS 15 remains closed for the time being. A public beta will follow at a later date and the final version should come out in mid to late September 2021.
Risks of installing an iOS beta
If you install a beta version of iOS on your device early, this could lead to device malfunctions. We recommend that you report this to Apple immediately via the installed feedback app, in order to give Apple the opportunity to fix the bugs found in the final iOS version.
An important note in advance. Make a backup of your device before installing the beta update or carry out the beta installation on a separate test device. In the event that something goes wrong with the beta installation, you can return to the last version of iOS and re-import the previously created backup. Learn how to back up your iPhone or iPad here.
How do I get the iOS 15 beta Profile?
It is highly recommended that you join the Developer Beta Program to get the latest beta versions for testing. To register as an Apple developer, follow this link. It costs $ 99 per year to join the iOS Developer Program.
- Go to the Apple Developer website and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Sign in to the iOS Dev Center with the same Apple ID.
- Register the UDID of your Apple device. (The UDID of the respective Apple device can be found as soon as your device is connected to iTunes. To do this, click on the symbol of the device, navigate to your device and click on the serial number to switch to the UDID)
- Then download the appropriate version of the iOS beta for your hardware – select the exact iPhone, iPod touch or iPad model from the list.
- Extract the .IPSW file on your Mac or PC.
- Connect your device to iTunes.
- Hold the Alt key on your Mac (or Shift on a PC) and click the Restore iPhone button. Select the .IPSW file from the previous step. Now the iOS beta will be installed. Wait a moment for the installation to complete.
How can I participate in the iOS 15 Public Beta?
Once the public beta is available, you will need to sign up for the iOS 15 public beta. To do this, proceed as follows.
- Go to the Apple beta page and register with your Apple ID.
- Sign in to the beta software program.
- Click on the iOS device that you want to register.
- Navigate directly from your iPhone / iPad to beta.apple.com/profile.
- Download the configuration profile to install it.
- After restarting the device, the iOS beta will be available under Settings / General / Software update.
Apple iOS 15 beta profile download without a developer account?
We cannot say it enough. Before upgrading to the iOS 15 beta, manually back up your device through iTunes. This is the only way to ensure that you have a backup copy which you can restore after a downgrade.